Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Gift

I wasn't sure if this post would actually make it from mind- to key board- to publish post.
But after much thought this morning over a cup of Vanilla Hazelnut coffee and Walkers shortbread {a teacher gift from my sweet little French student} I decided why not share my thoughts with you.
**********

This Christmas season came up on us like a sneaky snake. It slithered rather quickly for me, and I'm guessing it was due to our move. We no sooner get settled in.....we find Thanksgiving approaching. After Thanksgiving, I still had no set plans for gifts, family visits, baking cookies, baking breads...... I was caught up in the here and now. My job, classes that have not been completely organized {no blame here, just saying} my daughter the gymnast and her newly broken nose, with that broken nose came doctor visits, parties and other teenage girl get-togethers. Our Christmas tree looks like I shook the living daylights out of it. I didn't.....our cat for whatever reason took a disliking to this particular tree. She attacks it. ? I have no idea why....she never bothered our other {non perfect trees} but this year our tree looks very much like the sick wobbly needle lacking tree Charlie Brown took back to his friends at the school Christmas pageant. I did make it a point to have our holiday movie nights with munchies- turning on the lights- candles filling the room with cinnamon and vanilla aromas- but with all that, deep inside of me there was something brewing. Perhaps with everything that was not going exactly according to my plan, I was being thrown off the Polar Express. MMmmm.... well here goes the tears.
Football Superstar and I made an agreement that we will not purchase gifts for one another this Christmas. With our move, we both agreed that our financial commitments were to go towards the "PriorityList" not our "Santa List". I could certainly promise this to my husband, but could he to me? Yes, he was in full agreement. I jokingly made him sign a "contract" with China Doll as a witness. As we continued on with our days I never once had a twinge of guilt or a moment of weakness where I thought about heading out to the outlets or the mall to purchase my deserving husband a Christmas gift. Until the morning of Christmas!
Funny, Football Superstar and I were up before the kids!
We were brewing coffee, waiting for everyone to wake up to begin our morning of creating new memories in our new home here in Virginia.
I - like a snake- slithered around to make sure there was no gift box with my name on it- breathing a heavy sigh of relief when the lone gift under the tree was for Sam. Somehow he missed the one important doggy treat that Santa placed in his stocking.
***********

Christmas night we are driving home from Pennsylvania. Our girls are sleeping in the back of the car, we have soft music playing on the radio, and our conversation on the day took a rest.
I'm looking out the window as we head into Frederick- I can see homes with lights that were amazing and other homes that were bare. I looked at the mountains that lined the wide farmlands of Maryland. It was then I began to reflect on my past Christmases. The shopping, the gift hiding, the "honey do please" list, the family gatherings that were cemented in concrete,
the headaches after the night was over, and where I've come at this time in my life.
I look over at this man driving us home. I think of how enormous his shoulders are. He carries a large weight on those shoulders. He carries more than I can or could ever imagine.
He places everyone else before himself. His children are his pride and joy, but you will never hear him brag to others. He tells his mother that he loves her each time they end a phone conversation and as he hugs her goodbye. He thanks her. He thanks his children. He thanks his wife and he thanks his God. My husband has taken on a risk while moving his family. He did it for his family. Opportunities not just for us, but for our children. Schools, colleges, future career opportunities for them as well.
What could I ask for next Christmas? I get a gift from my husband every day of the week. Every year. Here is a man I can trust. He loves me unconditionally - flaws and all. He will go without so others can have. He is honest and humbled. He will tell you that he is so far from perfect because no one is perfect. But frankly, I disagree with him.... my children and I see he is the "perfect" of what we need in a husband and father.
This week I had a very horrible experience with a person who was showing nothing but pure selfishness. Pure and raw ignorance of mankind. When I was angry and ready to bite, my husband knew how to support me with compassion and encouragement. No bandaids were placed- only the knowledge of what is important. So you see, I receive gifts from my husband more than I can count. He gives me "gifts" each day. And I'm not the only one in this family who receives these gifts. My family members and close friends receive them as well.
A friend just recently said to me how lucky I am. I already knew this thank you, but after listening toMeg's words again- she is so correct. I am a very lucky woman.
*******
By the time we arrived home, unpacked the car and attended to our hungry pets- I was feeling warm inside. While everyone else went to bed, I took Sam out for one last potty break.
The moon was hidden by clouds, but the scene was beautiful. I took in the colors of the townhouses in our community that were lit up like a Dickens village. As I walked Sam around the path of lights, again Meg's words continued to tell me just how lucky I am.
And I am.

Hoping everyone had a very Merry Christmas and have a wonderful New Year*

Peace&Love,
Mrs. Lucky

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Lis,
    Yes you are Mrs. Lucky indeed, and this is such an amazing Christmas post. I am sure Mr. Lucky aka Football Star will have tears after reading it.

    I was doing my Christmas post when I saw your comment at my last post...thanks for always connecting with me.

    You are becoming a special blog friend...somehow I feel you understand.

    I understand you too. Especially about what you feel for your husband. I felt that way you about Ernie.

    A gift undeserved. One who would fight for his bride. Lay down his life. Go without, for his family's sake. Uncomplaining...undemanding. Expecting nothing in return.

    Showing the unconditional love of Christ.

    My husband was like that too. Too bad he died too soon. Thirty years of married life to him went too fast.

    Treasure your moments with Football Star.

    Love,
    Lidj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much....I have tons of emotions swimming around in my head today and this spoke straight to my heart...the true meaning of this season. It is about all year, not just one special time of year.

    It makes me also want to hug my husband...who didn't stay with the contract, but instead bought me a gift.

    My adjustment is having the adult children who aren't into any of it as much anymore, mixed with the wonderful excitement of my 4 year old...my older ones don't seem to even notice what is done...doesn't that sound like self-pity?

    So your post puts me back on track.

    Thanks so much...hugs!!! I am lucky, blessed also...thanks for the reminder

    ReplyDelete