Sunday, May 6, 2012

A CEO to Rebuild her Village

Mommy.   MOMMMMMY!  Mom.

I hear this title, this name so often that even at PetCo I turn around.   Like a momma bird, we know the sound of our children's voices- their tones- the pitch of their whines.   But when I hear "mommy" or "mom' I can't help but turn around no matter where I am.
It's built in to my internal being.  I didn't always want to be a mom/mommy/mother early in my life.  Remember, I had the world to see- even if it was from NYC's highest rooftop or by subway.   My friends who had children early in their marriages, I almost felt pity for.   I have no idea why I felt pity, maybe "Pity" was my armor NOT to marry-get prego-and wear stretchy pants.    They were wonderful mothers.   They were patient and loving.   Passionate about the full time CEO- Mother.

It wasn't until much later in my life that becoming one of the CEO's made an impact. 
I knew you needed a father- and that wasn't happening anytime during my mid 20's .... let's just say by the time I climbed the age ladder to 30- that would be a perfect time to begin my transformation to Social Treasure to CEO.     And you need to have a Father.   yes, that's important.

I love babies.   They smelled so fresh, of course baby powder helps- as if you could shake their crinkles and wrinkles out- you would smell linen.   White frilly linen.   
I enjoy working with young children.   They are honest, innocent and entertaining.
Adorable.   Lovable.   Precious.


Jumping ahead.
I'm now a CEO.   Been one for quite a few years.   Almost 16+ years.  
Those memories of my Social Treasure position come back from time to time..... I smile remembering the days where I had something called "Time".    You know what that is- where you place yourself on your very own calendar- your own alarm clock- your own pretty white crystal quartz wrist watch.   Lunch with a gal pal.  Hair appointments.   And don't forget sleeping in from time to time.   ah...yes.
Then a noise comes from a distance- snapping me out of my cloudiness.
MOM.   MOMMY.    MOMMMMMMMY!

Football Superstar and I enjoy the life of CEO.   We share this position for the most part.
We are partners in this firm.     We have board meetings.   minus the power point presentations, however I would vote for one once in a while!

Parenting doesn't come with directions or instructions.   There is a manual however and that comes either in King James or NIV here in our home.    But I will say- there are those moments when that manual throws a curve ball at me of Truth.   Hit's me dead center and I don't have my catchers mitt on.

I found a book my mother had in her room- "It Takes A Village".   Hillary Rodham Clinton.
I'm about half way- and there are pages where I feel my own mother wrote the words I read.

If anything- it does take a Village to help raise our children.   And in that village live family members, friends and teachers.   Cousins.   Playmates.   Pastors or Priest.  
I miss the days of values from my neighborhood.   Where everyone knew your name.  When they looked after you- even if it was only because you were walking from one street light to another.

Football Superstar and I are planning on rebuilding our village.

I ask you......  who lives in your village.... and are they willing to stand by your children?

From one CEO to another-
Peace&Love




1 comment:

  1. Lis,

    The first time I heard the phrase "it takes a village" I kind of repelled at the idea of social influence taking priority over my input in my child's life. But over the years, I have valued the influences of coaches, teachers, youth leader's, other parents, who have impacted the lives of my children. To me, it's important those in the village have the same values we instill in our children, because wrong influence is pricey. A godly village is priceless!

    ReplyDelete